The following mitigations should be meticulously applied when planning business and consumer trade events:
• Crowd Density Standard: at a capacity allowing for compliance with social distancing of 2m, or 1m with mitigation (approximately equivalent to a density of 10㎡ per person)
• Controlled entry: staggering admission to ensure socially distanced arrival
• Managing queues outside the venue to ensure they do not cause a risk to individuals or other businesses, for example by introducing queuing systems, using barriers and having staff direct customers
• Controlled flow during an event: introducing one-way systems and timed tickets to control flow and alleviate congestion
• Providing floor markings, where appropriate, and signage to remind both workers and customers to follow to social distancing wherever possible
• Assigning appropriately distanced seating where events have a seated element and encourage seated events
• Ensuring that on site speakers are subject to restrictions on live performances - see performing arts guidance for more information
• The opening up of the economy following the COVID-19 outbreak is being supported by NHS Test and Trace. You should assist this service by keeping a temporary record of your customers and visitors for 21 days, in a way that is manageable for your business but effective for managing disease transmission risks, and assist NHS Test and Trace with requests for that data if needed.
2.2.3 Business events
Meetings of up to 30 people indoors are allowed in permitted venues if social distancing can be maintained and the venue can demonstrate it has followed the COVID-19 guidance.
From 1 August, exhibition and conference centres are also allowed to show small groups (of up to 30 people, with social distancing requirements) around to view the facilities and plan future events., and to enable government backed pilots to take place. They should not be open fully to host events more widely.
From 1 October, it is expected that events of all types (e.g. trade shows, consumer shows, exhibitions, conferences) will be allowed at a capacity allowing for compliance with social distancing of 2m, or 1m with mitigation (approximately equivalent to a density of 10㎡ per person). Where such events involve people speaking loudly for prolonged periods of time any mitigation must include particular attention to the ventilation of the spaces. This will be subject to the latest public health advice.